06. Investigation into the permeability of cell membranes using beetroot
- 00:44 Where is the betalain pigment stored in the cells?
- 00:55 What happens to the colorimeter absorbance as more betalain is released?
- 01:07 What is the relationship between temperature and degree of betalain released?
- 01:13 What must happen to the membrane structure for the betalain to be released?
- 01:23 Which type of molecule in the membrane structure is the most likely to be damaged by increasing temperatures?
5 test tubes
water baths set up at 25, 35, 45, 55, 65oC
colorimeter with a blue/green filter (530nm) or a colour chart
test tube rack
Cuts to skin
Cut down and away from body onto a white tile or chopping board