05. Determination of the solute potential by measuring the degree of incipient plasmolysis
- 01:08 Why is the epidermis placed in de-ionised water at the start?
- 01:18 Why do you leave the epidermis strips in the bathing solution for 30 minutes?
- 01:31 Why do you add the same bathing solution to the epidermal strip on the slide?
- 01:47 Why should you blot any excess liquid on the slide?
- 02:19 Which concentration of sodium chloride solution produces 50% plasmolysed cells?
- 02:37 What is the solute potential of this sodium chloride solution, which is equal to the solute potential of the onion cells?
5 x 9cm petri dishes / small bottles
sodium chloride solution (0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 mol dm-3)
Cuts to skin
Cut down and away from body onto a white tile or chopping board